Spring Fling is back! Kick off the spring climbing season by climbing in our annual Spire Spring Fling rope competition. You’ve been training hard all winter (right?), so come show us what you’re made of. This year finals are back, so don’t miss out and don’t forget your spandex! We’ll have a DJ, lights, huge raffle, and prizes galore.
Date: March 26th, 2022
- Youth USAC Regional Qualifier: $65 –Includes entry and t-shirt*. Competitors must register online via the USAC website here. Click "Log In" to access your Sport:80 account to sign up for the Spire Climbing + Fitness Lead/TR Qualifying Event. Youth competitors will need a current USAC membership to register. Max participants per session is 75.
- Citizens Comp: $55 - online pre-registration or at Spire until 5pm the day before. $60 - day of competition. Price includes adult beverage (for those of age), raffle ticket, and spectator entry to finals. T-shirts are an additional $12. Click here to register online or register at Spire the day of event. On a budget and can’t afford the entry fee? Volunteer for the youth comp, and we’ll cover your entry! Click here for volunteering opportunities.
- Finals Spectating: All competitors receive free entry to finals, otherwise it is $10 for Spire members, $15 for non-members. Includes a free adult beverage while supplies last, so don’t show up late. Spectator tickets are limited and can be pre-purchased online HERE. Finals will also broadcast live on Spire’s Instagram page.
*Register early to guarantee yourself an awesome t-shirt! Shirts are limited and first-come, first-served based on time of registration.
**Session 1 and 2 youth competitors may also compete in the Citizens comp for an additional $20.
***Refunds must be requested by 11:59pm on March 24th. No refunds will be issued after this date.
Competition Formats and Scoring:
- Youth Comp: USAC Modified Redpoint format.
- Citizens Comp: Redpoint format. Masters (35+), Open and Intermediate/Beginner. Top 4 completed routes. Failed attempts on scored routes will result in a one-point reduction for each attempt. Top 7 open competitors will proceed to onsight finals. Finals Round is onsight (1 route).
- Marathon: As many routes as you can do! One point each.
- Scoring: Youth Scoring results can be found HERE. All Citizens competitors will need to download the KAYA app onto a mobile device and join either the “SSF 22 - Citizens Qualifier” or “SSF 22 – Marathon Comp” challenge to enter their scores and see live results during the competition.
- Rules for the Spring Fling Youth Qualifying Event will follow the rules as outlined by USA Climbing in section 7.8.3 of the rulebook for a Modified Redpoint Youth QE.
- All Competitors who Top Rope Belay, Lead Climb, or Lead Belay MUST BE TESTED AND APPROVED BY A SPIRE STAFF BEFORE THE EVENT STARTS!
- Routes have no designated starting holds. Competitors may start on any holds which they can reach from the ground. On all TR finishes competitor must control the final hold(s). On all Lead finishes competitor must complete the final clip.
- Competitors can attempt any route as many times as they want. If a hold spins or breaks, step off immediately, or the attempt will count (then please contact a staff member). If you use a hold or feature that is "off route", no points can be earned, and the attempt will count.
- Only designated holds and features are permitted for climbing each route. “Smearing” is allowed so long as a competitor does not utilize something off route such as another hold. Volumes are considered part of the wall and can be used unless otherwise noted.
- Bolt holes on the wall are not permitted to be used as hand holds at any time. Bolt holes on holds can be used.
- Competitors cannot work routes. You must lower to the ground immediately after falling. You may brush holds while lowering.
Prizes and Swag: $1200 cash purse for top 3 open category finalists, prizes for category winners, and raffle.
Food: Truck o' Montes will be here from 11am-8pm
Event Schedule (Subject to change)
Youth Comp - All male and female categories (Jr, A, B, C, D)
- Judge Meeting: 9am
- Check in: 9 - 9:45am
- Competitor Technical Meeting: 9:45am
- Climbing: 10am – 2pm
- Check in: 2:15 - 3pm
- Competitor Technical Meeting: 3pm
- Climbing: 3:15 - 6:15pm
- ISO Check in: 6:30 - 7pm
- Doors open for Spectators: 7pm
- Finals: 7:30pm
- Citizen awards and raffle to follow